Welcome to the Audio Drama Talk forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will be able to interact with the producers of the best audio dramas on the internet. This community is a way for the listeners to provide feedback, find new shows, encourage future ideas, create your own, or just talk to other people who enjoy audio drama as much as yourself! To register sign up with a user name then Email me your username so I can get you approved And it's absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact me. ~ Marrcus "Crash" Beattie

Go Back   Audio Drama Talk > Audio Drama Talk > Off Topic
Off Topic The off topic section is for anything out side the sphere of Audio Drama.

Old 04-08-2012   #21
ZacksQuest
Skilled Actor

ZacksQuest has a spectacular aura aboutZacksQuest has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
View Post
Finished "A Study in Scarlet" - excellent, even if it almost felt like two different books. Now I'm beginning "The Sign of the Four."
I actually thought it was for a while, then I realised part two was really the backstory of the villain. Has a really huge anti-Mormon feel to it though.
Hello there. I am here to shamelessly advertise Comic Tree Radio Theatre for your displeasure! We do many Radio versions of good old comic strips, including: Dick Tracy, Steve Canyon, The Phantom, Prince Valiant, and Terry & The Pirates! For some Dick Tracy, yellow wearing, butt kicking goodness, go to this topic to see how it's goin' along: http://www.audiodramatalk.com/showthread.php?t=16163 OR, go here to try out for a role! http://audiodramatalk.com/showthread...7538#post57538

Personal Favorite Audio Dramas: The Red Panda Adventures, Black Jack Justice, We're Alive, Bingo the Birthday Clown, This Thing of Ours, Dragnet, The Shadow, Tarzan

Old 04-09-2012   #22
captain basil
Captain Basil

captain basil has a spectacular aura aboutcaptain basil has a spectacular aura aboutcaptain basil has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
View Post
I actually thought it was for a while, then I realised part two was really the backstory of the villain. Has a really huge anti-Mormon feel to it though.
Study and Sign are my two favorite Holmes novels. I always thought Hound was over-rated and Valley always left me cold. If you get a chance see if Netflx has the BBC Peter Cushing Tv version of A Study In Scarlet. It's very well done. I bought the Cushing set a while ago but I think you can rent it.

Old 04-09-2012   #23
Bill Hollweg
Barbarian in need of Ale

Bill Hollweg has much to be proud ofBill Hollweg has much to be proud ofBill Hollweg has much to be proud ofBill Hollweg has much to be proud ofBill Hollweg has much to be proud ofBill Hollweg has much to be proud ofBill Hollweg has much to be proud ofBill Hollweg has much to be proud of

Cushing in it alone is worth it's weight in GOLD

Planet of the Apes & B-POTA/Saga of the Grog & Gryphon/2109: Black Sun Rising/Battlestar Galactica/Conan: Queen of the Black Coast/Kolchak the Nightstalker/OTR Swag Cast
& Writer for EFNY

and one of the founding members of BrokenSea Audio
http://www.brokensea.com
http://www.archive.org/details/Conan...dFullCastAudio

Old 04-11-2012   #24
captain basil
Captain Basil

captain basil has a spectacular aura aboutcaptain basil has a spectacular aura aboutcaptain basil has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
View Post
Cushing in it alone is worth it's weight in GOLD
It's really good, Bill. Most of his TV series got erased by some Doofus at the BBC but you can buy a set with the few surviving episodes, of which A Study in Scarlet is one.

My next book will be Kiss Her Goodbye by Mickey Spillane and Max Allan Collins. Mike Hammer rides again !

Old 04-11-2012   #25
Bill Hollweg
Barbarian in need of Ale

Bill Hollweg has much to be proud ofBill Hollweg has much to be proud ofBill Hollweg has much to be proud ofBill Hollweg has much to be proud ofBill Hollweg has much to be proud ofBill Hollweg has much to be proud ofBill Hollweg has much to be proud ofBill Hollweg has much to be proud of

Mickey Spilane....YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Planet of the Apes & B-POTA/Saga of the Grog & Gryphon/2109: Black Sun Rising/Battlestar Galactica/Conan: Queen of the Black Coast/Kolchak the Nightstalker/OTR Swag Cast
& Writer for EFNY

Old 04-12-2012   #26
captain basil
Captain Basil

Quote:
View Post
Mickey Spilane....YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
You are in luck, my friend. Spillane left Max Allan Collins several unfinished manuscripts. The first one is called The Goliath Bone. I have read that one already and it was excellent. It puts Mike Hammer back in action. There are others but the titles escape me at the moment. Enjoy !

Old 04-12-2012   #27
Bill Hollweg
Barbarian in need of Ale

If you dig Mick
<and who doesn't???>

Mickey Spillane as Mike Hammer

LP
DL

http://big10inchrecord.blogspot.com/.../Mike%20Hammer

"Don't smile. I don't like people who smile like that." This record, an artifact of Mickey Spillane's high summer of popularity as the people's hard-boiled novelist, is full of such lines. It contains an "original story written and told by Mickey Spillane with Betty Ackerman."

Everything about this record and Spillane's work has been parodied over and over. His own writing was a kind a parody or cartoon version of the hard boiled novel - and suitably, Spillane wrote cartoon stories before he did his first novel.

This item presents Spillane's approach boiled down to its essence. A woman in distress - the record starts off with the sound of her being slapped. (Being entertained by the repellent has since been taken to ridiculous extremes in popular culture.) A white knight, here Spillane's Mike Hammer character (voiced by the author himself), intercedes. The woman falls in love with Hammer. Hammer kills the bad guy. This all happens in two acts lasting a total of 13 minutes, accompanied by bongos.

The flip side of the record contains four musical numbers. First is a portrait in sound of Velda (the women in distress, later Mike's secretary). Next is something called "The Woman" (not sure how she differs from Velda). Then there is "Oh, Mike!," which the cover vaguely describes as "the passion that Spillane has so well expressed in the seven Mike Hammer books." And finally the Mike Hammer Theme.

The music is by Stan Purdy. The cover says that Spillane discovered him in "The Rendezvous" in Carlstadt, New Jersey. I haven't been able to trace Purdy's later pursuits, so maybe he returned to the Rendezvous. The music isn't bad, actually, and there are strings and things, so funds were spent.

I wish they had expended a few more bucks on the cover, which G. R. Wilson appears to have executed with Crayolas. A better choice would have been the artist whom Signet used to do Spillane's book covers, helpfully depicted on the back of the record. You can see some of those book covers here.

The record is from 1954 and appears to be the first (only?) issue on V Records.

<hollar at me in an email if interested as the link here appears dead>

& Writer for EFNY

Old 04-18-2012   #28
captain basil
Captain Basil

Ordered the Gregg Taylor Black Jack Justice book last night ! If you need me I will be waiting by the mailbox. Tick....tick..tick...

Old 04-18-2012   #29
Lothar Tuppan
Audiofile

Lothar Tuppan has much to be proud ofLothar Tuppan has much to be proud ofLothar Tuppan has much to be proud ofLothar Tuppan has much to be proud ofLothar Tuppan has much to be proud ofLothar Tuppan has much to be proud ofLothar Tuppan has much to be proud ofLothar Tuppan has much to be proud of

Quote:
View Post
Ordered the Gregg Taylor Black Jack Justice book last night ! If you need me I will be waiting by the mailbox. Tick....tick..tick...
I'll be diving into my copy as soon as it arrives too!

Old 04-18-2012   #30
Bill Hollweg
Barbarian in need of Ale

I finished rise and fall of the Third Reich

Have another entitled Stalingrad on my list of WW2 readings
<funny now I want to watch Patton...>

As well as some andre Norton of my dad's ready to go for a read

& Writer for EFNY