Gypsy Audio Audition: The Blackburn Gaslight Adventures, our new Steampunk series by writer A.J. Clarkson. The show is set in October of 1863, at the battle Perryville in Kentucky. This is PULP, brain candy and we’re looking at you guys to play it that way. Fun, excitement, and of course ADVENTURE!
We’re looking for characters for the first episode (and will be doing more casting calls for future episodes). Please send your lines in either stereo or mono MP3 format, and as clean a recording as you can (but please do not clean your lines though). Send your auditions to firstname.lastname@example.org
by May 1st.
All characters are for Ep 1 (Parts 1-4), but do not recur. Feel free to audition again! Please give us three takes of the lines this way: First line as written, second line with more gusto, and for line 3 please chew the scenery and feel free to ad lib!
Amelia Mays: Mid 20’s, Kentucky born and bred, and rich. (Southern Accent)
1. No, Lizzie, don't go to sleep. Richard says you have to stay awake until we're sure your brain isn't seriously injured.
2Don't think about that, Lizzie. He's with the Captain, and half a regiment of good soldiers. They'll look after him. He'll want you to look after your own health. Here, take some more water.
Dr. Mays: Army surgeon, late 20’s early 30’s. Does not come from money. American accent (not Southern). Lower voice.
1. This entire war is an obscenity. What's one more among many? And it would explain the soldiers' talk of ghosts. They truly are seeing dead men walking the battlefield.
2. No, no, look. See how the flesh has necrotized around the entrance wound? This is an old wound, at least two days, possibly more.
3. Ow! Amelia, I love you. But if you don't stop fussing over me, I'm going to divorce you!
Captain William Sheppard: Young 20’s, from the north (PA specifically). Not low pitched.
1. Just foolishness. Some of the pickets say they've seen dead soldiers walking at night. Haints and ghouls. People are nervous, about the army and about
your work. Their imaginations run toward the most foolish notions. Unfortunately, spies are paid to listen to such idle gossip, and draw the correct conclusions
2. Useful? You think it will be useful? Mr. Blackburn, it will be revolutionary! It will change the face of battle.
Corporal Jacob Wilson: Mid 40’s or up (career military), gravely and low voice, northern American accent.
1. It's not long now, less than five miles. Once we get clear of these woods, you'll be able to see the plantation. Not that it's Dr. Maye's property. It's his father-in-law's, I understand. He took off up North once the Confederate Army encamped at Paducah, and who can blame him? This is no safe place for civilians right now, especially with the raids.
2. It's just foraging parties, ma'am. Some of the boys, they get tired of biscuits and jerky, so they'll sneak off in the woods, see if they can hit a rabbit. They're not supposed to, but can you blame them?
MINOR ROLES (Both male)
SOLIDER: Young northern male.
1. (Extreme HORROR): Dear God, what are they?
FACTORY WORKER: Male, one line, if we pick yours, we’ll likely use it J
1. No, sir. Your schematics were very clear.
Thank you all, and please, have fun!!!!