Welcome to the Audio Drama Talk forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will be able to interact with the producers of the best audio dramas on the internet. This community is a way for the listeners to provide feedback, find new shows, encourage future ideas, create your own, or just talk to other people who enjoy audio drama as much as yourself! To register sign up with a user name then Email me your username so I can get you approved And it's absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact me. ~ Marrcus "Crash" Beattie

Go Back   Audio Drama Talk > Audio Drama Talk > General
General The general spot to meet and greet.

Edgar Rice Burroughs Audio Drama?
Old 09-26-2011   #1
MadMikeyD
Audiofile

MadMikeyD is a glorious beacon of lightMadMikeyD is a glorious beacon of lightMadMikeyD is a glorious beacon of lightMadMikeyD is a glorious beacon of lightMadMikeyD is a glorious beacon of lightMadMikeyD is a glorious beacon of light
Default Edgar Rice Burroughs Audio Drama?

Has anyone produced - or is anyone planning to produce - full cast audio dramas based on the writings of Burroughs? (I'm listening to the Tarzan OTR stuff now.) There are a lot of Burroughs' works in the public domain. Dynamite Entertainment has had so much success with their John Carter comic, "Warlord of Mars," that there are now 3 Barsoom-based comic book series and they have a new Tarzan series, "Lord of the Jungle," on the way. I am currently reading the original novels, and I would love to hear audio drama adaptations of "A Princess of Mars" or "Tarzan of the Apes" or "At the Earth's Core" or "The Land That Time Forgot." Burroughs has a lot of great material in the public domain that would make for fascinating audio drama.

Recommendations: Red Panda, Black Jack Justice, Saturday Morning Theatre, Dr. Floyd, Shade's Brigade, Doc Savage, Avengers, Jake Sampson, Lone Ranger, Night Beat, Six Shooter, Dragnet, Johnny Dollar, Box 13, Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Pawn Quests, Adventures in Odyssey, Space Marshal Dylan McCade, Thrilling Adventure Hour, Action Science Theatre, Earbud Theater

Old 09-26-2011   #2
Bill Hollweg
Barbarian in need of Ale

Bill Hollweg has much to be proud ofBill Hollweg has much to be proud ofBill Hollweg has much to be proud ofBill Hollweg has much to be proud ofBill Hollweg has much to be proud ofBill Hollweg has much to be proud ofBill Hollweg has much to be proud ofBill Hollweg has much to be proud of

ALL Great stories!!!

;-)

Planet of the Apes & B-POTA/Saga of the Grog & Gryphon/2109: Black Sun Rising/Battlestar Galactica/Conan: Queen of the Black Coast/Kolchak the Nightstalker/OTR Swag Cast
& Writer for EFNY

and one of the founding members of BrokenSea Audio
http://www.brokensea.com
http://www.archive.org/details/Conan...dFullCastAudio

Old 09-26-2011   #3
JulieH
1-Woman Butt-Kicking Army

JulieH has much to be proud ofJulieH has much to be proud ofJulieH has much to be proud ofJulieH has much to be proud ofJulieH has much to be proud ofJulieH has much to be proud ofJulieH has much to be proud ofJulieH has much to be proud of

I'm pretty sure that even stuff in the public domain from Burroughs often involves characters (like Tarzan TM) that may still be liccensed by someone.

Seeing as how Disney, a financial juggernaut not only recently made the tarzan film, but are coming out (or already came out - can't remember, may have blotted it from my mind) a John Carter of Mars film, I wouldn't want to try and make anything that could run head to head against them.

Regardless of who's right, sometimes it's who has the money that wins.
It's happened before.
......and Fatal Girl
.........and Tone Didactic
............and Bingo the Birthday Clown

Old 09-26-2011   #4
Lothar Tuppan
Audiofile

Lothar Tuppan has much to be proud ofLothar Tuppan has much to be proud ofLothar Tuppan has much to be proud ofLothar Tuppan has much to be proud ofLothar Tuppan has much to be proud ofLothar Tuppan has much to be proud ofLothar Tuppan has much to be proud ofLothar Tuppan has much to be proud of

I wonder, theoretically, how clumsy it would be to adapt a public domain story by leaving out trademarked elements.

Using John Carter as an example, upon introducing himself he goes by 'Jack' instead of John (and doesn't mention his last name). Or Dejah Thoris only being called "Princess."

Or, completely make it blatant, change many names and preface it with a Dragnet style: "The names have been changed to protect the innocent."

Or, for Conan adaptations, have a framing device of a story being told where "In these dark times, we can't even mention their names... the dark priests of Set would strike us if we did. But the stories need to be told and I'm sure all of you know who Amra [or whatever non-trademarked alias] was."

Just spit-balling here... I have no idea how anything like that could work, or if it would just be a form of political guerilla 'open-source' storytelling. Or if it would open up other legal cans of worms.

Old 09-26-2011   #5
MadMikeyD
Audiofile

MadMikeyD is a glorious beacon of lightMadMikeyD is a glorious beacon of lightMadMikeyD is a glorious beacon of lightMadMikeyD is a glorious beacon of lightMadMikeyD is a glorious beacon of lightMadMikeyD is a glorious beacon of light

Trademarked names can legally be used in a project, just not in the titles. In Dynamite's "Warlord of Mars" books John Carter is John Carter. In their "Lord of the Jungle" series Tarzan will be called Tarzan.

A more famous example is that of comic books' original Captain Marvel. Since he was long out of print, Marvel Comics created their own Captain Marvel and trademarked the name. When DC revived the original character they couldn't call the book "Captain Marvel" so they titled it "SHAZAM!" He is still called Captain Marvel inside the book itself, however.

Recommendations: Red Panda, Black Jack Justice, Saturday Morning Theatre, Dr. Floyd, Shade's Brigade, Doc Savage, Avengers, Jake Sampson, Lone Ranger, Night Beat, Six Shooter, Dragnet, Johnny Dollar, Box 13, Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Pawn Quests, Adventures in Odyssey, Space Marshal Dylan McCade, Thrilling Adventure Hour, Action Science Theatre, Earbud Theater

Old 09-26-2011   #6
EmperorsFadingLight
Audiofile

EmperorsFadingLight has a spectacular aura aboutEmperorsFadingLight has a spectacular aura about

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0401729/
http://emperorsfadinglight.blogspot.com/

also in production:
http://thebabayagasaga.podbean.com/

Old 09-26-2011   #7
ZacksQuest
Skilled Actor

ZacksQuest has a spectacular aura aboutZacksQuest has a spectacular aura about

Firstly, I would if I could, but I can't, so I shant.

In basic terms, even still if you wanted to do these classical pulps, you'd have to declare who it's owned by at the certain times, and still, I believe there's a minor problem with that. Secondly, LibriVox already did it. Sort of. Not really. Thirdly, I can't due to multiple other projects (a pulp series and a fan radio show can't release themselves)! Fourthly, the link... YESSSSS!
Hello there. I am here to shamelessly advertise Comic Tree Radio Theatre for your displeasure! We do many Radio versions of good old comic strips, including: Dick Tracy, Steve Canyon, The Phantom, Prince Valiant, and Terry & The Pirates! For some Dick Tracy, yellow wearing, butt kicking goodness, go to this topic to see how it's goin' along: http://www.audiodramatalk.com/showthread.php?t=16163 OR, go here to try out for a role! http://audiodramatalk.com/showthread...7538#post57538

Personal Favorite Audio Dramas: The Red Panda Adventures, Black Jack Justice, We're Alive, Bingo the Birthday Clown, This Thing of Ours, Dragnet, The Shadow, Tarzan

Old 09-26-2011   #8
MadMikeyD
Audiofile

I just noticed BrokenSea's Jake Sampson: Monster Hunter series has a Burroughs/Barsoom story arc. I plan to check that out soon.

Old 09-28-2011   #9
Bill Hollweg
Barbarian in need of Ale

Bill Hollweg has much to be proud ofBill Hollweg has much to be proud ofBill Hollweg has much to be proud ofBill Hollweg has much to be proud ofBill Hollweg has much to be proud ofBill Hollweg has much to be proud ofBill Hollweg has much to be proud ofBill Hollweg has much to be proud of

Thanks MadMikeyD! REH is apart of the Story in "Jake Sampson: The Hyborian Gate "as well.
Which sets up some things in Gods Of War.
;-)

And you might find your fave Barbarian at the Internet Archive...And aussi fan posted this of his own accord after I/we got attacked over Hyborian Sword Slinging and Black Coasts <for free for all mind you-LOL>

I'll even make it easy- were someone to need to save a dark coast from a Pirate Queen for example- they need only go here..LOL

;-)

Mind you if you make a JC or a Conan or what have you- be prepared for the emails and threats from the slime of the lawyer ranks <worse than the druids of Ste...> to contact you.

I tend to agree- if the name is in said title- doesn't mean they won't threaten.

Mind you Livravox is just AB. I'd love to hear full cast AD <not just alot of actors reading a book- or one> but that's me.

Planet of the Apes & B-POTA/Saga of the Grog & Gryphon/2109: Black Sun Rising/Battlestar Galactica/Conan: Queen of the Black Coast/Kolchak the Nightstalker/OTR Swag Cast
& Writer for EFNY

Old 09-28-2011   #10
Bill Hollweg
Barbarian in need of Ale

And for any that missed BrokenSea's war with certain lawyerly gutter slime...

http://www.sffaudio.com/?p=4128

and an email I got from Jesse at SFFaudio 30aug2011

Quote:
Spent an hour researching a point for another email. Thought I'd pass it on to you (if only to make yer blood boil):

Robert E. Howard wanted his copyrights and written estate to go to his friend Lindsey Tyson but Howard's father apparently perjured himself under oath, denying that the will existed (despite a witness to the contrary). The court eventually granted Dr. Isaac Howard the estate. And then a series of unrelated people had control of most of it. It went like this: REH -> Dr. Isaac Howard (father) -> Dr. Pere Kuykendall (friend of Isaac Howard) -> Alla Ray Kuykendall and Alla Ray Morris (wife and daughter of Kuykendall) -> Zora Mae Bryant (cousin of Morris) -> Jack Baum and Terry Baum Rogers (children of Bryant) sold it to -> Paradox Entertainment

And Lindsey Tyson was the person Howard wanted to leave his estate to.

Nice huh?
And as always REH is PD as it was never re-upped...No Matter what certain entities might say...

http://boingboing.net/2009/02/27/con...copyright.html

and more:

http://www.robert-e-howard.org/Anoth...rerevised.html

& Writer for EFNY

Last edited by Bill Hollweg; 09-28-2011 at 04:33 AM..